Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To Market



I remember as a kid in New Jersey the thrill of taking the train into Manhattan on my own. I once navigated my brother and myself from our suburban town to the 1964 World's Fair in Queens, a maneuver requiring, I think, four train changes.

It wasn't the same level of orienteering achievement, but yesterday I took an auto rickshaw downtown, found the silk and fabric store, picked up an item I had ordered, and then found my way to the downtown market. Given the chaos of the downtown area, and the winding streets around the market, I counted myself lucky not to get sidetracked and lost. I learned the Mysore technique of hiring a rickshaw driver and having him wait -- something I thought only investment bankers did. I also got some other market pictures which I will post later, as well as a video on the way home of the public laundry area. I dubbed it, lamely, "Field of Cleans." Here's the video:

1 comment: