Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Turn Left at the Coconut Stand

It's now morning in Mysore on Thursday; it's still Wednesday back home.

I registered at the yoga school yesterday afternoon. I walked into the office and began registration paperwork with Saraswati, the daughter of Guruji and the person currently doing all the teaching. In walked Sharath. For those who don't pursue ashtanga, Sharath is acknowledged as the most advanced ashtanga practicioner worldwide, and the successor to the teaching mantle of K. Pattabhi Jois. The office is small, and we chatted very briefly; he seemed pleased that some Yoga East students had traveled to Toronto, where he taught recently. Saraswati told me to come at 5:30 a.m. -- which is slightly misleading, as the shala clock runs fifteen minutes fast.

For those in Louisville who are cyclists, this is the opposite of "Wheelmen Time" -- everything runs fifteen minutes early, not fifteen minutes late.

I showed up at 5:20 a.m. today, thinking I was ahead of schedule. I had heard stories of Sharath scolding people who showed up too early. At 5:20, The shala was mostly full, with some people well along in their practice, and I was confused. I walked in, and Saraswati kindly directed me to a spot near the back, without any criticism for my apparent violation of the unwritten shala time rules. (Laura had mentioned this fifteen minute variation, but since Saraswati had told me "you be here 5:30," I thought that 5:30 meant 5:30 when she said it.)

I was not as stiff and beaten up as I thought I might have been after the travel, and I launched into the primary series. For Yoga East readers, you will be reassured that the primary series in Mysore looks like the primary series on Kentucky Street in Louisville. There were some people who were advanced and skillful, doing second series, but most people were doing primary. The students looked to be mostly 20 and 30-somethings, with a sprinkling of older practicioners. Several people were less experienced, and seemed to receive equal respect and attention. In short, it felt comfortable and I knew that Laura had thoroughly prepared me for being in Mysore.

While practicing the Marichy asanas, Saraswati shouted across the room, "You catching B?" I showed her I could bind in B, but stopped after C. She came over and gave me forceful adjustments into a bound version of D on both sides. I suspect she has seen this several thousand times before.

I have to figure out the propriety and safety of buying a coconut after practice, because it certainly looked refreshing. Now I wait for the delivery of breakfast -- time for a morning nap, perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. My advice:go for the coconut.. the electrolytes and liquid replenishment will make you feel so much better after the practice... so wonderful to hear that you have made your first practice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problems with the coconut. It's safe. For breakfast check out Santoshi Cafe, its just down the street from the shala. Guy there named Julien makes the most delicious baked goodies! Saraswati saying to you "catching B?" reminds me that I hear her voice ringing in my head some mornings "straight leg lay down" or "pick it up, pick it up." She is so stern and sweet at the same time. It's great to hear about it. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete